Films that have influenced me
There were three main films that have inflected my views on film openings, these three films all have different ways on how they reflect their target audiences. That's why I chose them.
There were three main films that have inflected my views on film openings, these three films all have different ways on how they reflect their target audiences. That's why I chose them.
Paranoia-Mainstream
The reason why it had influenced me was due to the film opening. the film opening is the protagonist living his day to day life. over the top of this is himself narrating the hardship of his life. This gives the viewer some background information of the protagonist. This made the viewers very sympathetic for the protagonist. By doing this the director has made the viewers actively engaged towards the protagonist and the film. This means that rarely the audience will loose interest in the film as they are attached to the films protagonist and want to know more about the film. This makes the film opening successful.
Whiplash- Independent
Another film that has influenced me was whiplash, even though it is an independent film. I think that its film opening is very effective. This is because it drops its viewers into the deep end. it starts with a blank dark background, the only thing you can hear is someone playing the drums. Seconds after you see the protagonist playing the drums. I liked this idea as it doesn't spoon feed the story to the audience, it makes the viewers take in every little thing in order for them to understand the story and eager to see what happens next. This is why its film opening was successful.
Mr and Mrs Smith- Mainstream
The reason why this film influenced me was because it hid one of the main genres from the target audience within the film opening. The only generic conventions we see in the film opening is romance as well as small links to comedy. I believe this is would play with the audience as they would expect this to happen and therefore make them more engaged and connected. This makes the audience eager to see what happens next which means that their film opening has successfully drawn in their audience.
From doing this research am I now going to consider choosing to use one of the things that Paranoia or Mr and Mrs Smith have done in their film opening and use it in mine. This is because I believe that they both have two great ways in which they could attract their audience. I will not be using the idea from 'Whiplash' as it is a typical independent film opening and my film is a mainstream film so this wouldn't be relevant for me to do.



No comments:
Post a Comment